[Stoves] Jatropha and its future

Fireside Hearth firesidehearthvashon at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 16 19:37:54 CDT 2011

Dear Crispin....

        I am curious if this "log" was an extruded or pressed product. Also interested to know if this was a dark brownish color or more of a golden color. Do you know if there was any paraffin used as a binder?. There is a Canadian company selling a 9 cm by 20 cm log weighing approx 2.26 kg. The moisture content is known to be about 8%. It is approx 8500 btu/lb, and gives a burn time of up to 12 hours (in our stove) with enough coal bed to restart. The other "log" we use is smaller and pressed in a brick shape. This will yield a 7-8 hour burn with coal bed. Funny thing is I get more smoke at a higher heat output than the medium to lower end. This is actually good with me as we are shooting at the smaller home/space application where a lower heat output is better. Estimated output at 27,000 high, 5,000 btu low output. Of course we can also utilize saltwater drift wood and other more corrosive fuels as the stainless construction will take the abuse. We will have our first shipment this week, with our dual air feeds set up on one control handle, I will report what I can from our lab tests and soon (hopefully) will go for epa cert.

          Thanks.....Roger and Bridget.