[Stoves] Jatropha and its future

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Fri Aug 19 05:13:03 CDT 2011

Dear Dr AD

>How is the fire started in Vesto?

Normally they are burned from the bottom up because the wood tends to be
hard. It burns more from the outside inwards, than from a particular up-down
direction. In places where the fuel is pine (or low density) it is suggested
that the pieces be larger to create this outside-going-inwards burn.

If the fuel is small (like wood pellets) obviously it is top-lit or it won't
burn at all.

Charcoal is bottom lite though I found top-lighting had less smoke and
nearly no difference in the fire after a few minutes. Hot pieces fall into
the fuel pile and light everything anyway. You can see it cooking at
http://www.newdawnengineering.com//website/stove/singlestove/vesto/cookingve
sto.php
<http://www.newdawnengineering.com/website/stove/singlestove/vesto/cookingve
sto.php>  where it is being top-lit.

The picture of the charcoal burning is copied below. If you know you are
primarily going to cook with charcoal, we have a shorter version of the
combustion chamber which can be dropped into place.

Vesto Stove https://www.sabs.co.za/index.php?page=disa04