[Stoves] Jatropha and its future

Anand Karve adkarve at gmail.com
Fri Aug 19 23:02:37 CDT 2011

Dear Stovers,
the saponins of plant origin are quite popular in India for washing
hair (on the head), woollens, silks and golden ornaments. If soap is
used in washing anything, it combines with calcium bicarbonate which
is often found dissolved in water. The calcium compounds form
insoluble procipitate, which deposits on the substance being washed
and robs it of its shine. Therefore, women prefer to use saponins for
washing the list of objects mentioned above. The saponins do not react
with calcium. It must however be noted that many of the natural
saponins are poisonous if taken internally.
Yours
A.D.Karve