[Stoves] Fuel production, biochar, and feeding the stove in 2040

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 20:34:46 CDT 2011

Dear Andrew Not

I was so captivated by this when I found out about it at the Rio-for-small-island-states conference in Barbados in 1994 that I managed to get a small sample of material to see if we could make houses and furniture using the method.

I know for sure there are people in Dominica (not the Dominican Republic) selling wire frame sharks that are coated with calcium carbonate deposited in that manner using solar panels.

The Brits used it to cover and protect pipes taking sewage into the sea or pulling water in from it for cooling. I understand there is a large pipe going into the sea off Los Angeles that is encrusted that way.

The way they put it in Barbados was they dump old cars into the sea and connect them together and pass D.C. through them to create an instant reef.

Pretty cool!
Crispin

+++

This discussion brought to mind Biorock, <www.biorock.net>, (a site I found while researching artificial reefs, a few years back) and their use of low-voltage in light steel frames in seawater that encourages electrodeposition of minerals (сalcium carbonate) on the framework and promotes healthy growth of coral, even in marginal environments.  Still a lot to learn in the world.  I wish my father was around to discuss this with.  He was a soil microbiologist.

Andrew Parker (Not AJH)