[Stoves] Sand as Insulation

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 22:09:28 CDT 2011

Dear Friends

You know how I like to look up the numbers to see what the truth looks
like..

So I was looking up some heat conduction values for materials for a stove
and came across the following:

Heat conduction constants (k). The value is expressed as

Watts/m.K which is derived from Watts/m2/m/K and reads as Watts conducted
per square meter of area, per metre of thickness, per degree Kelvin. The
first formula has the m2/m reduced to m.

So here goes: values for these materials at 225 C:

Sand                                      0.06 Watts/m.K

Sawdust                               0.06

Rock wool                           0.045

Polystyrene expanded 0.03

Wood                                    0.13

Brick dense                         1.6

Brick work                           0.5

Cement                                1.01

Cotton Wool insulation 0.029

Felt insulation                    0.04

Magnesia insulation        0.07

Paper                                    0.05

PVC                                        0.19

Straw insulation                0.09

So the big surprise is sand. We are often asked if sand can be used as
insulation and the answer is 'yes', apparently. In fact it is better than
magnesia insulation.

Maybe this is a typographical error. Confirmations, anyone?