[Stoves] Sasol Fixed Bed Dry Bottom Gasification Technology

Anand Karve adkarve at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 02:16:13 CDT 2011

Dear Crispin,
water vapour at high temperature can react with various substrates to
release hydrogen. I saw a demonstration in which water vapour was allowed to
emerge within a section of a red hot piece of iron tubing. The
water dissociated, with the oxygen combining with the iron to form iron
oxide and the hydrogen burning with a nice blue flame. The burning hydrogen
kept the piece of iron tubing hot, so that this hydrogen burner continued to
burn for a few hours till the cooking was over. Some time ago, somebody
mentioned that sulphur dioxide from unpurified biogas caused corrosion of
the burners. It might as well be that the water vapour in the biogas was the
culprit and not the sulphur dioxide.
As regards testing the cause of enhanced growth of plants within a plastic
skirting, on should surround the plants with a skirting of plastic film,
which leaves a gap of a few centimeters between the plastic film and the
ground. Carbon dioxide, being heavier than air would accumulate near the
ground and flow away like water through this gap. If the plants grew well in
spite of a skirt that does not reach all the way down to the ground, then it
is the static electricity that is doing the trick and not the carbon
dioxide.
Yours
A.D.Karve

--