[Stoves] Indoor Air Pollution and Blood Pressure in Adult Women Living in Rural China

Sarath Guttikunda sguttikunda at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 03:12:53 CDT 2011

Dear AD,

air pollution has been around for 50+ years since the London fog days and
there are a number of studies linking the air pollution levels and related
health impacts. HEI put together a compilation of such studies (reports
available @ http://www.healtheffects.org/)

If we sideline the heart attacks, among the many end points, yes, there is
some link to the growing air pollution problems in the cities (saw a
publication recently in EHP). But, I am sure (without any proof of my own),
changes in lifestyle (sedentary jobs, no exercise, junk food, etc.)
aggravate the situation (stress levels, higher BP level, growing diabetes)
far more than air pollution.

There was a study in the Kumaon valley (Uttarakand) on the raising diabetes
cases in the recent 10 years - which coincides with the increasing
circulation of the junk-foods (all kinds). People are still walking the
same, they are still eating what they grow, agriculture is still fairly a
large occupation, but they are also eating junk-food. There must be some
correlation.

Heart attacks at 35 in the cities, unless there is a strong medical reason,
is certainly due to lack of physical activity and stress.

With regards,
Sarath

--
Dr. Sarath Guttikunda (TED Fellow)