[Stoves] Digest, Vol 12, Issue 45, Caking Coal

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 04:00:31 CDT 2011

Dear Dan

> Metallurgic coking coals are noted for their low ash, low sulfur, low
phosphorous content. All of these unwanted elements degrade the finished
iron. Is there a relationship here?  Do wood charcoals have these same or
similar properties? .

Wood charcoal, used in huge quantities in the 1800's for steel making, has
those properties. Biomass is about 0.5% ash, nearly no Sulphur and can be
very low in Phosphorous. Coking coal is usually something with a low
volatile content so the loss during roasting is not too much and the product
is hard afterwards. Coke is produced in a coal stove from all sorts of
coals, but it can be very friable and you can't ship it very far.

I hope you skip all these messages and work like crazy before the snow
flies. One day I will come across the lake and visit you and your
stover/farmer/neighbour closer to Lake Erie.