[Stoves] re The Ccharcoal project

ajheggie at gmail.com ajheggie at gmail.com
Sun Aug 28 12:41:24 CDT 2011

On Sunday 28 August 2011 16:42:41 Crispin Pemberton-Pigott wrote:

> Regarding the transport of charcoal, I am sure you have seen 10 tons of
> charcoal on a 7 ton truck.

Crispin, what bulk density are you allowing for charcoal? In bags? We have
a serious problem getting a full 28tonne load of woodchip into a walking
floor trailer unless it is quite fresh.

> What would be helpful is if you would engage the topic of sustainable
> charcoal production. People want to use it as a fuel because it is
> nice, simple as that. Lots of people in Canada who can afford any fuel
> they want choose to cook meat with charcoal. It is a market that is
> going to last as long as there is cooking, as far as I can see.

In UK there was a brief fillip in the consumption of char for BBQ but that
seems to have given way to LPG fired BBQs. I doubt it is used for
domestic cooking at all here.

<snipped>

> Char production can supply high quantities of 'process heat' for
> powering all sorts of things on the farms.

I agree, drying and ceramic firing look like they could sensibly use
offgas from advanced kilns. We briefly burned the offgas a small
gasturbine which showed promise for a cheap system, making it overly
complicated to maximise electricity genration ruined any economic
benefit.

> Farmers should be allowing
> nothing to leave their land unless it is as processed as possible in
> that region.

This is debateable but I generally agree because I see export of cash
crops without properly valuing the mineral fertiliser take off with the
produce as being a danger in some situations.

AJH