[Stoves] Primary air through a tube/grate in a wood stove

rajan_jiby at dataone.in rajan_jiby at dataone.in
Mon Aug 29 10:54:30 CDT 2011

Dear A.D.,

> Message: 2
> Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 11:37:22 +0800
> From: Anand Karve <adkarve at gmail.com>
> To: Discussion of biomass cooking stoves
> <stoves at lists.bioenergylists.org>
> Subject: Re: [Stoves] Wendlelbo's : Re Large TLUD --- TLUD Stove
> history
>
> Dear Stovers,
> if you have a very simple stove with a grate at the base of the
> firebox, you can eliminate almost all the smoke. The air coming
> through the grate is the primary air and the air entering the firebox
> through the fire mouth (the opening through which the wood sticks are
> inserted) is the secondary air. The primary air causes the wood to
> burn and the secondary air enters the flames to burn the volatiles. By
> playing around with this simple configuration, we have designed a
> stove that has become quite popular in the area where we operate. TLUD
> works in a similar manner, but it suffers from the disadvantage that
> one cannot add or reduce the fuel quantity, which is possible in our
> stove.

>Rajan had some time ago reported a similar configuration, but
> he made the system unnecessarily complicated by having the primary air
> coming into the firebox through a tube.

I have seen a simple primary air tube improving the fire tremendously (
leading to less smoke ) even in a normal/ordinary wood stove. The money
spent on the tube is negligible.

 >A simple grate is good enough.

True ( like in a wood fired boiler ).

But this simple grate can be modified to give excellent results - and this I
have already done.

In my observation, the optimisation of various dimensions and gaps play a
very important role in a better performance of a modified wood stove. Grate
is just one of the components.

A good modified wood stove should give a clean flame ( with minimum possible
harmful emissions ) and lowest possible wood consumption for a specific
cooking task.

> Yours
> A.D.Karve

Regards,