[Stoves] Stove terminology

John Davies jmdavies at telkomsa.net
Mon Aug 29 11:37:34 CDT 2011

-----Original Message-----
From: stoves-bounces at lists.bioenergylists.org
[mailto:stoves-bounces at lists.bioenergylists.org] On Behalf Of
ajheggie at gmail.com

Greetings,
I feel some comments will be in order.

>If one considers the strict interpretation of the terms then the IDD
gasifier is more correct, it implies air control, Top Lit UpDraught can be
applied to any fire that is toplit and then develops as an updraught fire
One should make a fair comparison ;   IDD and TLUD are saying exactly the
same thing:  Like saying that " a gate is open".  OR   saying that "a gate
is not closed".

But saying that " IDD Gasifer "  is more correct than TLUD.  Is like
comparing oranges with apples.  The former is qualified by the word "
gasifier " and the later unqualified.

>If the fire is top lit all the combustion products are exposed to fresh air
and a flame as an ignition source without having to pass through a mass of
cold fuel wood. The only restraints on air supply are the natural air
movements.

Once again these natural air movements are restrained by the air intake
design, which if present qualifies for the term "TLUD Gasifier"

>This differs from the gasifier or pyrolyser concept which inherently
control the air supply to restrict combustion to that necessary to gasify (
about 1/6 stoichiometric air for combustion) or pyrolyse ( less still) the
biomass. Even The initial demo Tom Reed talks of has the shielding of the
cigarette paper restricting air to that blown from below.

Likewise IDD without " gasifier" leaves it open to all interpretations.

Whilst on the subject , I sometimes see  TLUD ND  - which I understand to be
Natural draft ( not to be confused with no draft control )

I never see an add on for a chimney or fan being 2 typed of forced draft.

I propose the abbreviations used to be all inclusive.

TLUD  or IDD  or BLUD alone for combustion without air control.

The add on's being  GASIFIER where  air is controlled to induce pyrolysis,
with combustible gas production.

And lastly  ND - natural draft,   CD -Chimney induced draft.  And  FD - fan
or compressed air induced draft.

One might even add the fuel at the beginning.

Using these terms,  My coal stove would be designated as "Coal burning TLUD-
gasifier -CD"

Let us all talk the same language.  It would be less confusing.

Keep up the good work,

John Davies.