[Stoves] Stove terminology

ajheggie at gmail.com ajheggie at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 12:54:42 CDT 2011

On Monday 29 August 2011 17:37:34 John Davies wrote:

> One should make a fair comparison ;   IDD and TLUD are saying exactly
> the same thing:  Like saying that " a gate is open".  OR   saying that
> "a gate is not closed".

I take your point but for the fact that Downdraught simply won't work in
the open air.

> But saying that " IDD Gasifer "  is more correct than TLUD.  Is like
> comparing oranges with apples.  The former is qualified by the word "
> gasifier " and the later unqualified.

And that was exactly why I qualified it.

> Likewise IDD without " gasifier" leaves it open to all interpretations.

See above

> Whilst on the subject , I sometimes see  TLUD ND  - which I understand
> to be Natural draft ( not to be confused with no draft control )
>
> I never see an add on for a chimney or fan being 2 typed of forced
> draft.

That's a difficult distinction because even a small contained stove with
no chimney above the pot has some inherent chimney effect, force draught
with a fan tends to be up in the 5mm of water gauge area which is an
order of magnitude greater than can be achieved with a short (single
storey hut) chimney.

> I propose the abbreviations used to be all inclusive.

As always I'll stay out of this bit ;-)

AJH