[Stoves] HEDON Newsletter (30/11/2011)

Richard Stanley rstanley at legacyfound.org
Fri Dec 2 03:45:10 CST 2011

Your points taken Crispin,

On the 50% values Insitu --of course: You have a solid point. No lo contestare ! In the form of a hollow core briquette its another story. The heat values we are getting run more in the low 20mjs. The reason has to do with  infra red reflectance within the core durign the burn. Look at the burn again in the  holey briquette rocket stove of rok Oblak It is very  near to a gassifier flame.
On charcoal drying up…that would be worse than beer produciton halting out here. (have seen the latter in the 70's with near riots nationwide..) Thats why Paal and Otto Formo's solution of burning biomass and making char out of it is such a good idea.

Whomever pays for paper or charcoal dust, will almost assuredly kill their briquette business (at least the wet process hand production, microenterprise-based type): It's all very contingent upon getting / adapting blending FREE resources.
I am yet to be convinced that much more than 20% (by dry weight) of waste  charcoal is needed in a biomass briquette, though.

One can be otherwise pyrolising, charring and gassifying a biomass briquette all in one go-- during its actual point of application, especially if the mentioned pre drying pre heating technique is followed.  Nor is paper necessary where you have chopped and well retted field grasses and straws to do the work of binding..

Based on reports from the producers and trainer teams whom we know of here in Tanzania, the direct consequence of briquette production is replacing demand for  about 2000 tons of wood fuel this year--in the going local combination of wood or charcoal. last year it was 298 tons.
We started training producers in 2007 and from them, trainers in 2009.

Kind regards,
 Richard Stanley
Dar