[Stoves] banana peels

Robert Taylor rt at ms1.hinet.net
Tue Dec 6 03:07:52 CST 2011

Dear Prof. Karve

Thanks for adding the voice of experience. I was quoting, from my armchair, a New Zealand government leaflet passed on by Ken Calvert, which lists biogas yields from 20 different substrates. The table is entitled "Production of biogas from digestion of various materials at 35 deg C and suitable retention times with a loading concentration of 5% total solids". Top of the list is banana, fruit and stem (not "whole plant", as I misquoted from memory), yielding 940 liters of biogas (at 53% methane) per kg of total solids, retention time 15 days. Next are potato tuber at 880 liters and sugarbeet root at 620. Bottom of this particular list are cattle and sheep manure, at 190/180 - 220 liters. I had thought some other tropical/subtropical crops such as cassava were also listed, but that must have been another source.

Best regards

Robert Taylor