[Stoves] banana peels

Anand Karve adkarve at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 05:45:39 CST 2011

Dear Robert,
scientifically, the stem of banana is the underground rhizome. It contains
starch and it should yield a lot of gas. Ideally, Starchy and sugary
material yields about 1 kg biogas per kg dry weight. The volume of 940
litres per kg dry matter sounds a bit tall, because the rhizomes also
contain conductive tissue, having lignin and a relatively thick outer skin.
 It may be that the volume of biogas was measured at 35 degrees C, which
may explain its high volume. In scientific papers the gas volume is quoted
at standard temperature and pressure.
Yours
A.D.Karve