[Stoves] Drinking straw that eliminates the need to cut any firewood at all

Andrew C. Parker acparker at xmission.com
Sun Dec 25 16:46:25 CST 2011

Interesting.  Things have certainly improved since I last researched this
sort of stuff, about 15 years ago.  It took some digging on their site
before I found any meaningful information, but it is there.  I would tend
to agree with the Stanford article.

Filter membranes are expensive and finicky.  The Family unit requires a
replaceable (refillable?) chlorine cartridge to keep biofilm from fouling
the membrane.  Many reverse osmosis systems also require that feed water
be softened because of the risk of hard water deposits fouling the
membrane.  I do not know if this microfiltration design suffers the same
problem.

An additional concern is that there are some things LifeStraw does not
filter that can do harm.  Water ought to be tested for heavy metals and
toxins before people are told that microfiltration will give them healthy
water.

Membrane filters certainly have their place, but successful use requires
training and an understanding of how it works, what it can and cannot do,
and the ability to test the water regularly to assure that everything is
still working.

Saying that, if someone wants to give these away, fine, but it is only a
short term solution.

Another problem is that treated water is only part of the equation.
Hygiene is a major factor. Dirty hands and dirty vessels nullify the
benefits of the treated water.

I agree that point-of-use treatment is a major benefit in developing
countries (and a few developed ones as well.  Even in metropolitan areas
with conventional treated water systems the distribution systems (mostly
low-pressure) are often compromised by illegal perforations and bad
plumbing that allow siphoning of contaminants into the system.  My in-laws
in Ecuador always boil their drinking and cooking water (Ecuador
subsidizes propane for cooking, so no wood or charcoal is burned), and
some people boil bath and laundry water as well (after bath/shower
disinfectants are a big seller).  It is nice to have clear water from the
tap, when it works, but by the time it reaches the customer, it may still
appear clear but has been contaminated with who knows what.

Andrew Parker