[Stoves] Drinking straw that eliminates the need to cut any firewood at all

Andrew C. Parker acparker at xmission.com
Wed Dec 28 20:16:22 CST 2011

Andrew H.,

I am not a scientist, but I used them and was used by them, in my previous
occupation.  I do not know what specific materials the membrane filters
are made of these days, but it is my understanding that biofilms will grow
on just about any surface, unless it is a biocide.  Once the pores of the
membrane are clogged, they are almost impossible to use. Much cheaper
(relatively) just to replace them.  That is why the RO system I was
researching 15 years ago used pre-filters, pre-treatments and regular
backflushing to extend the life of the membrane.

In water purification, it is very important to know what is in the water
you are going to treat.  Knowing what is in the water can guide you in
choosing the appropriate tool for the job.  A simple slow sand filter can
remove turbidity and most pathogens.  A dose of chlorine will usually take
care of anything that slips through.  I understand that there may be some
hesitancy to use chlorine, but since it is required in the LifeStraw
Family, why not go for inexpensive sand filtration and chlorine in the
first place?

The thing that makes me most uncomfortable with relying on microfiltration
is that it does not filter toxins.  Just removing the pathogen is not
always enough.  The toxins produced by the pathogen must also be filtered
or inactivated.  That leaves you with the choice of using chlorine or
boiling.  Again, regular testing is the only way to know what treatment
method is appropriate and to monitor its continued effectiveness.

Salinity and heavy metals are another topic entirely.

In researching clay pot filters, I ran across this reference,
<http://www.relfe.com/clay_water_filter.html>, that gives a good
description and critique.  I especially liked the comment in the critique
that recommended concentrating on protecting water quality rather than
water treatment.

If the target population does not currently boil, or in any other way
treat, its water, I would think that education would, in the long term, be
preferable to distributing free "magic tubes" in order to profit from
carbon indulgences.  We have created a very bizarre world of late, have we
not?

Andrew P.