[Stoves] Drinking straw that eliminates the need to cut any firewood at all

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Thu Dec 29 01:01:04 CST 2011

Thanks to both Andrews

I have enjoyed the exchanges.

I used to work in Rural Water supply (WUSC took me to Africa in 1977) and
treatment (or not) was a major issue. We used to design the systems for 15
litres per person per day (carried from a standpipe) and forecast the
population 10 years ahead. It was treated unless it was from a borehole.

People studied the impact of filtering all 'drinking water' perfectly and
seeing what effect that had, compared with greatly increasing the amount of
water available. When people run short of water, they get sick more often
and for longer. The quality of that water is not particularly relevant. Even
if the small amount available is boiled clean, it does not help much.
Providing lots of water untreated allows people to wash a lot more: hands,
clothes, bodies, hair, environment. When everything is cleaner, there is a
lot less sickness.

As a Canadian I objected inwardly to this analysis because we were always
taught that all water has to be clean, and we tried to do that. But when you
live on the edge, you are better off with lots of water than with only a
small amount of zero cal sparkling Perrier. Just leaving water in a dark
tank for three days kills nearly everything living in it. But I like rapid
sand filters plus Chlorine or Iodine or UV light.