[Stoves] Drinking straw that eliminates the need to cut any firewood at all

ajheggie at gmail.com ajheggie at gmail.com
Thu Dec 29 04:57:59 CST 2011

On Thursday 29 December 2011 07:01:04 Crispin Pemberton-Pigott wrote:
> People studied the impact of filtering all 'drinking water' perfectly
> and seeing what effect that had, compared with greatly increasing the
> amount of water available. When people run short of water, they get
> sick more often and for longer. The quality of that water is not
> particularly relevant. Even if the small amount available is boiled
> clean, it does not help much. Providing lots of water untreated allows
> people to wash a lot more: hands, clothes, bodies, hair, environment.
> When everything is cleaner, there is a lot less sickness.

Interesting Crispin, did you watch the video that Alex posted
about "failure"? It was also on the theme of providing water but how
these schemes have failed because the education in maintaining the system
was not considered.

It does point to the benefit on providing basic water and just then
treating a potable supply at a personal level. Water Aid is a charity
that the agency my daughter works for supports and provides me with a
good excuse to go for a coastalong walk each year.

BTW one of the big success stories in UK for biochar has been in the
treatment of soils contaminated by run off from metal mining tailings,
enabling the establishment of forest in otherwise barren ground.

AJH