[Stoves] Stoves Digest, Vol 16, Issue 52 - biochar and composting process

rajan_jiby at dataone.in rajan_jiby at dataone.in
Thu Dec 29 20:17:31 CST 2011

Dear Crispin,

> Message: 1
> Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2011 02:39:02 -0500
> From: "Crispin Pemberton-Pigott" <crispinpigott at gmail.com>
> To: "'Discussion of biomass cooking stoves'"
> <stoves at lists.bioenergylists.org>
> Subject: Re: [Stoves] [biochar] allAfrica.com: Africa: Biochar -
> Unfulfilled Promises in Cameroon
>
> Dear Ron
>
> I am not convinced that poor people cooking with experimental stoves is
> the right way to do preliminary investigations. I think we should leave
> this to the agronomists for a few years and they can get back to us with
> what works.

I operate a small compost bin at the back of my house where vegetable waste
from my house gets converted into organic manure.

When I add a little bit of charcoal from my TLUD gasifier stove into the
compost bin occasionally, the composting seems to happen a little faster.

Hope this information is of some use to somebody.

>The fact that amateurs want to get in on it is interesting but it is
>clearly too early for triumphalism. At the present pace and direction, it
>is inevitably going discredit both stoves and biochar.
>
> Regards
>
> Crispin

Regards,

Rajan