[Stoves] Engine oil, Earthworms and Biochar

Frank Shields frank at compostlab.com
Fri Dec 30 17:09:23 CST 2011

Dear Kobus,

Perhaps we are talking about a new and better 'worm avoidance" test for the
IBI to adapt. The choice is if they would rather go tout of the light to
moist char (leave out the oil?) or stay on the damp asphalt. The control
(damp asphalt) would be the same for all doing the test. As it is now the
control for IBI procedure is a perfectly good soil material compared to it
with biochar added. They can live in either but may just choose the control
soil because of texture, brief ammonia release from high pH biochar, or many
other reasons -other than toxicity of the biochar.

Letting them choose from living on moist asphalt to living in the dark in
moist biochar - they should want to go into the biochar unless something is
really out of balance and undesirable. Then see if they survive for a week.

Great observation

Frank

Frank Shields
42 Hangar Way