[Stoves] [biochar] allAfrica.com: Africa: Biochar -Unfulfilled Promises in Cameroon

Alex English english at kingston.net
Sat Dec 31 08:35:54 CST 2011

Dear Anand,
It is well documented how new drugs are often compared in trials to
treatments that are not the best current treatment. Thus the not so
surprising favorable results.

Physicist Richard Feynman would ask to see the data, so he could draw
his own conclusions, which could differ from the primary author.
"*Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts"

*What then is 'peer review'?
*
*So much of what we read about biochar sounds like a woefully inadequate
recipe for curry. Just add spices.  Without differentiating char
characteristics and the conditions of treatment soils, all we can
conclude is further research is required, or go back and do it right. If
you multiply those variables you can put a high quantity on 'expert
ignorance'. Add a pinch of time span,and biology, then good and bad
results become curiosities. Terra Preta  may be a fine wine now but what
was it back then.

Unburned Char can have value right now. Potting mix, sorption of
nasties, crayons, even as insulation under hydronic heating lines.
Physics and chemistry are quick. Biology is a chronic research pain that
delights and confounds.

Repeatedly we see reference to biochar being beneficial to 'highly
weathered" tropical soils. Would you characterize any of the soils you
added charcoal to as being "highly weathered"?

Regards,
Alex
*
*