[Stoves] Testing Jatropha-seed stoves for toxic emissions

Tom Miles tmiles at trmiles.com
Mon Feb 7 11:51:19 CST 2011

I found on a recent visit that cashews are still steam roasted where I lived
in Northeastern Brazil (Ceara)

Toxicity of smoke from roasting has been documented in India. K. Usha and
V.R. Prakasam "Acute Inhalation Toxicitiy of Chashewnut Smoke in White rate
Rattus Norvegicus" in
Environment and Health by Arvind Kumar 2004.

And in Brazil: Contact dermatitis caused by smoke from cashew nut shell oil
burning in a Lithraea molleoides sensitized man and local skin memory, RJ
Vieira - Clinical Toxicology, 2006 - csa.com

A recent paper has recommended steam boiling instead of roasting in India to
reduce pollution.
www.scipub.org/fulltext/ajes/ajes64324-328.pdf

No mention of toxic vapors from the oils. I suspect that the oil is stripped
by the steam and diluted in the condensed water.

Gasification has been tested as an alternative to combustion:
Gasification of cashew nut shells for thermal application in local food
processing factory
N Tippayawong, C Chaichana. - Energy for Sustainable, 2010 - Elsevier

Tom