[Stoves] Testing Jatropha-seed stoves for toxic emissions

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Mon Feb 7 10:08:41 CST 2011

Dear Paul and Kevin

>On the  other hand, if Jatropha is used and if it is at a stage of
> combustion where it is making a visibly smokey fire, it is probably
> dangerous through containing non-consumed J-toxins.

I am just tossing into the conversation that cashew nuts (also called
crowshaw nuts in W Africa) are not processed and used in some countries
because the technique get getting the acids and toxins off the seed are
unknown.

The smoke from fires used to slow roast the outside off the piles of cashew
nuts is extremely toxic - a well-known risk in Brazil and Mozambique for
workers.

Where's there's smoke there's toxins.