[Stoves] Building my Heat / cook stove.

Darren Hill mail at vegburner.co.uk
Tue Feb 8 06:57:30 CST 2011

Hello Stovers,

     Spent some time working on the stove last week and things are
beginning to take shape.

     You can see a basic diagram of what I'm working towards on the
attachment to my mail to this group on 30th January.

     Some photos of things as they stand. -

     http://www.b-e-t.org.uk/uploads/images/firebox.jpg

shows the ceramic lined combustion area.  The gases will exit through
the heat exchanger behind this and the fuel hopper will be to the left.
You can just about make out the secondary air inlet here in the middle
of the back wall, just above the ceramic block - the air will be flowing
in through the box section you can see running across from the left
through the fuel hopper. This runs across and then down to where the air
will exit into the firebox.  This box is 20mm x 20mm ID.

***** Do people think this should this provide sufficient secondary air
or should I put another similar secondary inlet in the front of the
burner??? *****

The ceramic blocks are not fitted correctly in this picture.  Currently
aiming for a 'throat' area of 10cm x 10cm

http://www.b-e-t.org.uk/uploads/images/choke.jpg

this shows the choke / bleed hole in the heat exchanger section.  We
decided to make a sliding 'door' in channels that can be moved (between
burns, by reaching down into the burner after lifting away the flue) and
then wedged or welded into place when set right.  With this 'door' wide
open the bleed hole is 5cm x 10cm

http://www.b-e-t.org.uk/uploads/images/top.jpg

Finally a poorly focussed top view that shows a bit more of the layout.

We decided to make the hopper smaller than on the diagram - if I
remember correctly 20cm x 25cm.

My friend had a grate from an old coal stove that appeared to be a
suitable size and we intend to use - from memory this grate is approx
15cm x 20cm.  Thinking of having the 15cm side in front of the 10cm
throat through into the combustion area.

If anyone has got any comments/ideas I'm hoping to get some more work
done on the stove tomorrow (if I can correctly diagnose a spluttering
Mitsubishi diesel engine today)

Also I had some questions below, to which some answers would help guide
the construction process.

Best

Darren