[Stoves] ETHOS--Maasai project

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Tue Feb 8 15:38:42 CST 2011

Dear Robert

I am really happy to see you are using a free-standing brick chimney with
the stove. I am interested in hearing how they are constructed (foundation?
height? inside diameter?).  If they are mud bricks, do they work and last
OK?

The video shows  the common pot used in that region. There is a BIG fuel
advantage for people using this type of pot. Make a neat cylinder of metal
that is about 2 cm larger than the outside diameter of the pot. It should be
about 2 cm taller than the pot. Knock the top 1 cm (or a little less, let's
say 5-8mm) of the top end bending it 90 degrees inwards to make a lip that
still allows the pot to slide inside. Turn it upside down and hammer the lip
gently onto a flat metal surface to make sure it is flat. Turn over again so
the lip is on top.

Instead of putting the pot directly on the stove plate, put on the cylinder
first. Then drop the pot into it. It creates a skirt around the pot that
only increases the heated surface. The sides will get heated a bit as well.
The gas flow will sort out its own way out - up in some places and down in
others, piping it back below the flat metal stove top.

This cylinder increases the heat transfer efficiency quite a bit and may
even slightly increase the combustion efficiency. That reason for the better
burning is that the stove has too little vertical space for the flames to
finish burning (there are flames touching the pot) so it gives a little more
space to complete the burning (= more heat).

That is the perfect stove and pot for the use of this type of sleeve. It can
even be made from a larger pot that was damaged (usually a hole in the
bottom). If you want a Cadillac version, make a lip at the top and bottom,
taper it smaller to the top, and play with it until you find the perfect
height!

++++++

Dear Friends and Colleagues

It was great to meet you all at the Seattle conference of ETHOS.

We just finished a 6 or 7 minute video about our Maasai project in Tanzania.
I would love for you to take a look at it.  It will download in about 2
minutes in this lower resolution version.

http://rcpt.yousendit.com/1037718917/3d6c38afc442d74cf251558c2443bf90

we also have launched our new website     www.maasaistovessolar.org
<http://www.maasaistovessolar.org/>

the video will be available on this website soon.

I would like to stay in touch, and hear any advice you might have concerning
our sustaining this work.  I hope you will see its warmth and integrity in
the video.

thanks

bob

Robert V. Lange

President, tne ICSEE

Physics Professor Emeritus, Brandeis University

508  735 9176