[Stoves] Building my Heat / cook stove.

Darren Hill mail at vegburner.co.uk
Mon Feb 21 06:39:54 CST 2011

Hello Crispin,

The bleed is at top bypassing the need for gases to go down past the
heat exchanger.

Secondary air is flowing in through some 20mm x 20mm internal diameter
square section tubing.  Is this enough or do I need more? Another 20mm x
20mm square section tube? More?

I've attached another diagram which shows things as they are currently
planned/progressing.

Looking at this diagram.  Are you saying to have some of the grate to
the left of the red line I've drawn on the diagram?

Currently this is the thinnest point (or bottle neck, or throat) and has
a vertical ceramic slab either side so that this 'throat' is not the
full width of the hopper.  Extending the grate further to the left will,
in effect, increase the area of the thinnest point.  I currently plan to
have the lowest part of the grate level with the bottom of the ceramic
block (that is the floor of the combustion chamber) so it is away from
the thinnest/hottest area.

Is it best to shift the grate to the left?
If so what % of the grate left of the red line?
Should I also raise the grate so that the its level with the top of the
ceramic block that is the floor of the combustion chamber?

I'm working on the stove today and tomorrow.  Going to build the air
tight doors today.

Best

Darren