[Stoves] When to choose fuel saving stoves over briquettes?

Otto Formo formo-o at online.no
Fri Jan 7 02:29:00 CST 2011

Dear all and Richard,
I was told that Nataniel in World Stove manage to get hold of some pellets from Georgia and shipped to Haiti?!
Thats a total different story, here we are talking about a disaster sone and the forestcover on Haiti is close to 2% of its originally.
The need of suitable biomass fuel for households was also in an emergency phase, and still are, I belive...............

What I also have heard from Haiti, is that Clinton`s "One Cent Solution" briquettes or pucks has not been a success story due to the fact of its low energy content and diffyculty to ignite.
Iam not surprised, because I have allways been wondering how you can add water into a biomass and later sundry it to become an efficient fuel.
In the cold winters of Norway we can realy FEEL the difference of good and bad firewood, either dry, 10% density or raw, from the heat transfer of the stove.

About Jean`s question:
This is in AFRICA and costs is not an issue here and the agriwaste are avaiable according to my knowledge of english as my second or even third language.
To Jean`s further question about.....or both?:
I would just say like Paal:
Stoves and fuel are linked together...........
Just like the Mbawula and charcoal in Zambia.

Why give the people of the developing world a "second hand" solution, when it can be "solved permanently"?

Look at the cellphone industry...............

We are going to Sweden, after our visit to Washington next week, to see a GEK gasifier to be assembled at the University of Uppsdala and find out how it works on pellets.

Otto