[Stoves] Air power Re: Burning saw dust in TLUD stove

Paul S. Anderson psanders at ilstu.edu
Tue Jan 18 10:00:40 CST 2011

Chrispin and all,

Chimneys have their purposes, but (as you helped me to learn) there
are some disadvantages:

1.  One pull needs to serve both the primary and secondary air, and to
separate the pull into two paths is difficult and interrelated
(increase one will diminish the other).

2.  We need feet of chimney height to equal what a small fan can
accomplish, and a blower gives even more power.

3.  In the context of sawdust or even rice husks, nobody has
successfully pulled (via a chimney) the primary air through such fine
materials, especially with small cookstove sizes that could finish
cooking before a substantial chimney gets sufficiently hot to give a
stable draft.

4.  (Opinion) Fans and blowers will enter the cookstove efforts in
major ways in the coming few years. They are so simple and so
inexpensive and so beneficial that easily 200 million
biomass-burning-households could benefit and acquire today from the
addition of FA (FA = Forced Air or Fan Assisted to stoves. Maybe not
the very poorest nor the refugees, but millions of others on the
fringe and wanting better lives.

We Stovers are just scratching the surface of applications of FA into
cookstoves.  The topic of FA is integrated into the content of the BEF
Gasifier Stove Camps and can be part of the individual/small group
efforts at those Camps.  Info about the BEF Camps is at
www.tridecca.com/bef

Paul S. Anderson, PhD
Known to some as:  Dr. TLUD    Doc    Professor
Phone (USA): 309-452-7072   SKYPE: paultlud   Email: psanders at ilstu.edu