[Stoves] Air power Re: Burning saw dust in TLUD stove

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 10:09:07 CST 2011

Dear Paul

Thanks for the reply.  I continue with:

>1.  One pull needs to serve both the primary and secondary air, and to
separate the pull into two paths is difficult and interrelated (increase one
will diminish the other).

So far we are doing fine with several fuels. Just reporting....

>2.  We need feet of chimney height to equal what a small fan can
accomplish, and a blower gives even more power.

Well, how much is actually needed? We need to break out the combustion
analysers again and get the readings. How much is used v.s. actually needed.
If the stove is venting into the room, there is no different to vent the
chimney into the room. If it accomplishes the same thing, there is no
problem. Just because it has a chimney does not mean it HAS to go outside.
Just sayin'.....

>3.  In the context of sawdust or even rice husks, nobody has successfully
pulled (via a chimney) the primary air through such fine materials,
especially with small cookstove sizes that could finish cooking before a
substantial chimney gets sufficiently hot to give a stable draft.

Yeah, well, OK, but who said it has to be pulled through the fuel? There is
more than one way to burn a pile of sawdust. So let's look broadly at how to
burn fuel without pulling it through the whole volume of it. The fact that
most of the designs rapidly copied from the Campstove says nothing about
other designs that work differently.

I am about to suggest to Rok and Richard that they make a no-hole briquette
stove that uses counter-flow air like the Lion/Tau/Libhubesi stoves to avoid
the erosion of walls problem common to stoves with all the air coming from
one side. Still working on the briquette-tube wall gap.

>4.  (Opinion) Fans and blowers will enter the cookstove efforts in major
ways in the coming few years.

Chimneys will be favoured if they work as well and have no moving parts for
the simple reason that you can't make your own fan. A lot of metal stoves
are still made at home or by a neighbour.

>We Stovers are just scratching the surface of applications of FA into
cookstoves.

And innovative uses for chimneys!

>The topic of FA is integrated into the content of the BEF Gasifier Stove
Camps ...

Cool. May the fans fill your sails!