[Stoves] old patent-paper about a saw-dust stoves

Boll, Martin Dr. boll.bn at t-online.de
Wed Jan 19 14:51:14 CST 2011

Kevin,

            I think it (below) means:

If you want to burn coal, before starting the fire first put paper into the
basket, then kindling then (possibly in begin?) coal. If the
starting-arrangement is done. Light the paper from above.

The instruction says, because of the position of the basket, it is possible
to start the fuel from "above" (= German "von oben"). (the instruction
doesn't exactly say from "top" The expression could tell from where you come
with the match. There is another statement which underlines that:

Starting the fire without (the need of) a side-incending-door

The coal/wood-log-fire progradiates from basket-bottom to top; and I think
the whole rest of the drum under the grate is only primary-air-way coming
from the bottom of the drum, and is not as an off-duct, as in the
description declared.

Your other comments seem to me good explaining the paper.

Regards

Martin

>By the position of the griddle-basket is it possible to start the fire from
top, without a stove-starting-door at the side. By this manner of >starting
the fire, the fire burns from down (von unten) to top (nach oben). Before
placing the inset-firing it is possible to place paper. To start >the fire,
it is sufficient to light the paper from above.

>     # I do not understand this. It seems like they are suggesting to put
paper (or kindling) on top of the sawdust bed and "Top Light" it. Could
>they mean that "... the fire from teh kildling burns downward to the top of
the sawdust?" It appears in Figure 3 that there is another damper and ash
>pit at the bottom of the packed sawdustwith another sliding damper that
could be opened to allow primary air up through the center hole formed by
the >cylinderical form. This being the case, they are describing a TLUD
combustion configuration.