[Stoves] jatropa does not burn well for us ....but it probably has for others, somewhere

Jonathan Otto ottojonathan at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 20 18:30:55 CST 2011

Not sure where this fits into the stream of 19 simultaneous subjects, but here goes:

We have a natural draft TLUD developed specifically to combust whole Jatropha seeds -- quite a challenge given the intense energy in those long chain hydrocarbons.

For years we assumed since the main energy was in the seeds' oil, that we needed to remove it first and make a liquid fuel stove.  Not true.

Paul Anderson and the other heavies at Biomass Energy  Foundation showed us solid fuel vaporization technology at CHAB Camp last August, and 6 months later we're planning on field testing in Tanzania in March, and if all goes well ( a huge caveat to be sure) we'll be in production shortly thereafter.

Very low emissions ... 18% biochar ...  Home grown fuel from hedges around fields and farmsteads ... cost less than 50% of the price of charcoal.

Jonathan Otto