[Stoves] jatropha does not burn well for us ....but it probably has for others, somewhere

Paul S. Anderson psanders at ilstu.edu
Thu Jan 20 19:37:27 CST 2011

Dear Boston and all,

I hope you can come to ETHOS meeting next weekend 28-30 Jan in Seattle
and see the Jatropha-seed stove that will be discussed in a
presentation and fired up at the stove demo.  It is by "Jet City
Stoveworks" (JCSW) (Seattle is Jet City) and "Pamoja" (NGO working in
Tanzania).  I have worked with them on this stove.

The answer is yes, jatropha can be burned cleanly in stoves.  but
there are challenges.

You and CU (Colorado Univ.?) and others with Jatropha efforts could
fit in well with additional work on burning jatropha.  Pamoja and JCSW
and I (independently or together) would be glad to collaborate.

There could be several ways to handle jatropha as a stove fuel.  We
are working (successfully) with one, which is to use the TLUD
combustion technology.  In brief, because the top-lit updraft (TLUD)
functions with a decending pyrolysis front that is quite well behaved
and uniform, the flaming pyrolysis (limited oxygen present) provides
heat that vaporizes the jatropha oils, releasing them as gases along
with the pyrolysis gases.  The challenge is in the combustion of so
much gas and that type of gas (probably longer-chain hydrocarbons).

To handle the jatropha press cake, pelletizing or briquetting is
probably the best option.  And the press cake could be mixed with some
other biomass.  Loose presscake alone would block the needed air flow
in the TLUD.

I will leave the details of the Pamoja/JCSW to them to present 9 days
from now.  Then we could get into the real details.

Request:  Do you (at CU) or anyone else have any supply of natural
(not pressed) jatropha seeds?   JCSW and I are looking for some kilos.

--
Paul S. Anderson, PhD
Known to some as:  Dr. TLUD    Doc    Professor
Phone (USA): 309-452-7072   SKYPE: paultlud   Email: psanders at ilstu.edu

Quoting Richard Stanley <rstanley at legacyfound.org>:   -- snipped --

> Boston,
> I would toss this question out to the combustion experts on the
> stoves and biomass lists...here.
>
> I have not tried it out but I know that others must have by now. The
> idea is to get behind the reason for poor combustion Crispin if I
> have him correctly implies that there is  no poor biomass fuel, only
> poor stoves...Thats one avenue which the stoves group is
> particularly good at.
>
> It may be that no one has ever successfully burned jatropa...but,
> personally,  I would not bet on it.
>   snipped   The point of this digression is this:  I have little
> doubt that if you were to venture out into the jatropa-using world
> (not just the development project world or institutional research
> world)  but the user-on-the-ground world, you will probably discover
> how somebody somewhere has figured out a way to process it as fuel...
>
> The ideal is to do this and to frame your scientific investigations
> at the same time: to run the "field" investigation in parallel and
> collaboratively with the lab analysis. Then you get not only the
> best of both worlds as information and data sources: You form a link
> to-- and directly or indirectly- help to empower those who can not
> only benefit from  the results but who can become teachers of others
> for the future.

NOTE by PSA:  This is what Pamoja is doing.