[Stoves] [Jatropha cake properties]

Frank Shields frank at compostlab.com
Mon Jan 24 12:54:05 CST 2011

Dear Crispin, and stovers,

Other experiments using a Spring Tester
http://paceperformance.com/i-6120778-heavy-duty-valve-spring-tester-proform-66775.html
The price is not to bad if we can use the one that only goes to 700 lbs.
But I suggest getting the $800+ one that goes to 1000lbs.

I use the model that goes to 1000 lbs for adobe bricks and now
experimenting with biochar and clay mixtures to determine the amount of
biochar needed to reduce clay turning into a brick. I'm thinking there
may be a way to use the spring tester to test the glueing effect of oil
and other materials on biomass fuel bricks. If we can develop a test
method we can experiment to plot the strength using increasing amounts
of oil (or other materials), change with different temperatures, change
in texture, moisture etc. Using calibrated Spring Testers we can compare
results between labs and set standards down the road. For the adobe
bricks and biochar/clay mixes I use cardboard cylinders (like toilet
paper roll) that I had made that are 1.5" diameter and 1.5" tall.
Perhaps the spring tester of 1000 lbsF could also be used to -make- the
fuel bricks (in addition to testing)? I am sure a screw press goes much
higher, but perhaps the spring tester can simulate what Richard Stanley
is doing(?)

I think we also need the surface area so we can calculate in lbs/sq
inch. If the screw press makes much larger bricks the spring tester may
work if we use it maker smaller diameter bricks(?). And if the screw
press purpose is to extract the oil, is the pressed material left the
bricks? or is the material broken up again and re-pressed into the fuel
bricks of a different shape using a different (less pressure) machine?

After finding what mixes are needed to make the suitable bricks that
will hold up to travel and handling, we need to test the bricks n the
stoves. Finally we will get control over the data so we can move forward
into making better fuel for specific stoves.

Frank
fes