[Stoves] Pyrolysing side draft stove, 1982

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Mon Jan 24 18:43:24 CST 2011

Dear Tom

What a great backgrounder. I hope Jetmaster brings us new versions for the
oddball fuels entering the market.  That process of limiting air to high
velocity jets is exactly what I found worked well in retaining a gas
production zone at the bottom of the Vesto. That is why there are three 8mm
holes near the bottom, instead of plain walls. I found that it is far less
susceptible to flame-out in the gas burning zone immediately above the
gas-producing zone.

Personally I find it much better than the 'pure' pyrolysis approach where
there is an advancing flame front for the reason that it works with wood
instead of processed wood and chips and pellets. Even then, with homogenised
fuels, it is better to have a couple of jets blowing onto the surface to
keep a flame going immediately above: more reliable over wider fuel types.

The idea of the air jets is that they can reach to the far side of the
combustion chamber (observe and modify diameter to suit) and there should be
enough of them so that some can be blocked by fuel and it will still work.

What I saw in the patent drawings looks like a semi-gasifier, in the same
combustion class as the Vesto and for similar reasons. Both are refuellable.