[Stoves] Pyrolysing side draft stove, 1982

Tom Miles tmiles at trmiles.com
Mon Jan 24 20:06:39 CST 2011

Alex, Crispin,

Interesting histories and experiences. If you remember the market for wood
stoves changed dramatically in about 10-15 years. There was a flush of "tin
wonders" right after 1973 and 1979 crises.

Wood smoke became a problem in this time period. Our efforts to clean up
stoves resulted directly from a local study that found that 60% of the
respirable particulate - that would stay in the lungs and not come out - in
the air came from wood smoke. The rest came from other sources like
automobiles.

Then a decline after the oil prices receded in about 1985. I think that wood
pellet stoves actually took off starting in about 1985. I would imagine that
the market for stick wood boilers got started and then probably died in the
late 1980s. It seems to have resurrected only in the late 1990s when oil
rose again. That would make it tough to start a new company. More than one
wood boiler company has emerged and died in the last ten years.

Another factor is that the design went through several hands. When this
happens people always have a better idea without necessarily knowing why
something is designed or built the way it is. It's amazing what gets built
wrong and then doesn't work.

Tom