[Stoves] Vinny's wood-burning bucket

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 00:18:22 CST 2011

Dear Friends

Vinny at the SeTAR Centre is researching various aeration settings for a
wood burning perforated bucket known locally as an mbaula (a modification of
the word 'barrel'). He sent me a few tests to look over.

A quick calculation shows it boiled 5 litres of water in 10.5 minutes with a
CO/CO2 average of 1.9% burning (adjusted to 80 degrees ΔT) 126 g/litre,
emitting 2.7 g of CO per litre boiled (1.32 g CO/MJ).

Not bad for a paint can with some pickaxe holes in it and a hand woven wire
grate at the centre line.

In spite of the raging fire (12 kW peak) it was 20% efficient, peaking at
34% as the power ramped up. I wonder what will happen if they put a skirt
around it, or run it at a reasonable power level. It looks like they got
maximum efficiency at 6 kW.

Well done Vinny!