[Stoves] Banana ag waste, rockets & TLUDs

Jean Kim Chaix jkimchaix at charcoalproject.org
Wed Jan 26 10:36:50 CST 2011

Hello, stovers.

I'm going to disappoint Crispin as I don't have a smart questions this time.
It is, instead, purely practical. Here goes:

Our preliminary biomass energy efficiency assessment has revealed that
conditions appear to be ripe for sustainable, alternative solid biomass fuel
& cookstove program in the community we are supporting in Rubaare.

There is a robust local market in bananas and maize with plentiful
byproducts available such as stems, peels, etc. There is also sawdust
available locally. The first phase of our project will focus on creating a
fuel option for the institutional stoves currently in use the five schools.
The stoves are of the Aid Africa type and will need to be adapted to burn
the briquettes. In the second phase of our project we will seek to the right
mix of stove and fuels for domestic consumption.

As we develop our project,Ie have a couple of questions for you:
1. For domestic cookstoves, can the above-mentioned fuels be used separately
or together as fuel for TLUDs?
2. If so, is there a type of TLUD that is particularly suitable? Or is it
just a matter of chopping the biomass up into fine, TLUD compatible
particles?
3. Does anyone have experience using either sawdust and/or banana waste and
converting them to fuel-briquettes?

For the record, I searched the archives of listserv but wasn't able to come
up with the answers.

My gratitude in advance for your considerate answers and your patience with
my ignorance.

Rgds,

Kim
--