[Stoves] Banana ag waste, rockets & TLUDs

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 13:29:07 CST 2011

Dear Kim

At last week's DoE meeting in Washington the chopping of fuel was discussed
in the back hall. In the case of bananas (while still green) it is pretty
easy going with machetes.

However the subject of manually operated choppers came up and where the
biomass in question is green-ish and there is a lot to chop, it might
interest you to try something in the manual, rotating chopper line. There is
a pretty dreadful small machine made in Kampala (rotating disk with cement
poured into it) and at least some ability chop, but we were discussing
something more industrial - i.e. intended to be used daily for years in a
rural area.

I can connect you to other interested parties who need such machines. This
is a thinly veiled reference to my willingness to make you one. If the
projects are going to succeed you need a reliable solution to the chopping -
not have that single portion of the operation be the cause of the failure of
the rest of the system.