[Stoves] Heat / cook stove - proposed design

ajheggie at gmail.com ajheggie at gmail.com
Sat Jan 29 04:22:07 CST 2011

On Saturday 29 January 2011 00:00:13 Darren Hill wrote:

> I guess its a bit surplus to requirements .  I was thinking it would be
> handy to be able to see when it needs refuelling without opening it up.

This first box is partly a retort and will circulate tarry gases which I
would expect to obscure any windows.

> > I think the throat between the two will suffer.
>
> I've got some thick plate I could use for this part  (I could fabricate
> the stove so it can be easily replaced.   Alternatively  I've been told
> a friend has a pallet of the bricks out of storage heaters (which I
> guess could take the heat?).   I could possibly make the throat area
> from them.

Possibly too massive, something like aluminium silicate sheet or
thermoboard.

Sheet steel will survive 700C if it ambient the other but here you will
have up to 1600C on one side and the rejected flue gas ( 200ish if the
heat exchanger is good) the other. Thicker plates normally do worse than
thin because the hot side gets too hot as the interior cannot conduct
heat away fast enough.

As you have a wet system how about more complication, a water jacket
insulated only on the secondary combustion side.

AJH