[Stoves] Heat / cook stove - proposed design

Darren Hill mail at vegburner.co.uk
Sat Jan 29 18:48:52 CST 2011

Hello AJH
> This first box is partly a retort and will circulate tarry gases which I
> would expect to obscure any windows.

I'll forget that idea then.
> Possibly too massive, something like aluminium silicate sheet or
> thermoboard.

My blacksmith friend who is doing the build with me has some kind of
dense ceramic blocks/bricks she got from an old cement kiln.  A few have
survived in the bottom of her forge without cracking.  I'm thinking I'll
give them a try.

> As you have a wet system how about more complication, a water jacket
> insulated only on the secondary combustion side.

Unfortunately I'm not guaranteed to always have a ready supply of water
and I'd like the stove to be able to work when water isn't 'on-tap'.

If I cant make something ceramic work, or find an alternative material
that can take the heat, I'm thinking I'll duct the secondary air through
a jacket around the throat.

Best

Darren