[Stoves] Re household cooking

Frank Shields frank at compostlab.com
Mon Jul 11 12:49:18 CDT 2011

Stovers,

Fuel, stove and user - three things that must come together.

I agree with Paal that there should be a practical test for stove and fuel.
My thinking is regarding testing fuel. But my test methods I packaged up are
not simple & practical as they must be sent to a lab.

Along the lines of what Paal is writing about I would like to suggest
another procedure that could quickly be done in the field. If we can
standardize a 'Burn Procedure' that would add fuel to a fixed sized and
designed container with a fixed and agreed upon air flow, ignite it and make
observations. This could be done in the field and using standard equipment
and marking standard observations, we could all discuss the fuel and stove
it has found to work well in. For TLUD fuel we could use glass containers
(light bulb shells) to be able to make the observations we need like depth
of front, evenness of front, rate etc.

Frank.

Frank Shields

Control Laboratories, Inc.