[Stoves] Fire Stump

Boll, Martin Dr. boll.bn at t-online.de
Tue Jul 19 14:54:02 CDT 2011

Ron,

To your question:

<6. I wish I had seen how difficult it was to drill the central hole of the
Rocket design.

<Is there a power tool on the market like the chain saw <(but for drilling
holes)?

A "yes-but" answer:

If you make the three asterisk cuts longitudinal through the log, about 2/3
or 3/4 , of the length of the log, there is  automatically somehow a central
hole.

To get this type of hole down to bottom, -and not to make high "cake-wedges"
falling apart- Make the same asterisk cuts beginning from bottom, but only
the needed amount of 1/ 4  or 1/3 .

__And__ set the in-cuts precisely in the round __between__ the in-cuts
coming from top. So the log holds together.

The in-cuts from top and from bottom must overlap a little bit, otherwise
there is no central hole running without stop from bottom to top.

My experience with a very dry pine-log last year:

With some wind you get an unsymmetrical burn.

By the thread now I got the idea, one could experiment with aluminium-foil,
partly wrapped round the log. - Many different manners possible-.

Happy camp-fire experiments

Martin