[Stoves] Fire Stump: center hole making

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 10:41:58 CDT 2011

Dear Richard

> Here in Little 'ole Ashland Oregon and I suspect all over the land,
ordinary softwood  logs were used for water pipes.

There is a great tour under Seattle of the buried city that exists one to
two levels under the main streets. My wife Margaret and I teamed with Dr AD
Karve and went into the depths. It consisted largely of a description of the
history of Seattle's sewage!

There was evidence of wooden pipes all over the place. It really as amazing.
There was clearly no shortage of wood or cannon-boring machines. When you
want to drill a deep hole by hand you use a brace and bit with a threaded
lead screw. As for the twisted flat blade, in the early days the pitch of
the spiral increase towards the working tip. That was easy to produce at a
forge.

Apart from the bizarre history of Seattle, founded by people who trekked
overland from the East Coast of the US, the census taken in the 1890's of
the busy sea port and timber trading centre was remarkable. Of the 10,000
people living there, 2500 of them were young working women who all gave the
same residential address. They all listed their occupation as 'seamstress'.
Ri-i-ight.  Stitching up the census takers, as the Brits would say.