[Stoves] Fire Stump / stump-incuts

Boll, Martin Dr. boll.bn at t-online.de
Thu Jul 21 15:01:38 CDT 2011

Ron,

- Frans, Frank and „Stomp-Stovers“ -

Here some pictures from a fire-stump. It is laying around in a garage for a
year of three. I just took the pictures to explain, without need of many
words.

With such a type (but with bark) I did my test as I described in the
stoves-list. But that burn was without aluminium-foil.

I was discontent with my first test, which I made in summer last year. The
burn of the dry pine-stump did not happen as symmetrically as I expected,
and the stump had several times to be turned for using the wind direction to
direct the burn.

The in-cuts from the bottom were done too high, so the stump burnt too early
in pieces. The central channel appeared in begin too small.  (A commercial
fire-stump in the web has on top a sort of dish/cup which seems to work
better)

.

The idea to wrap it (in different test in somehow different manners) with
aluminium-foil came by reading the thread about the fire-stump. So I cannot
say anything about that. I have not yet planned how to play with the
foil-wrapping. Here is for the moment lack of time and appropriate weather.
But possibly is someone interested in that first step to struggle further.

The difference with this stump is:

There is a channel from top to bottom, not made by a drill, but by
chain-saw-in-cuts in 60° angles

Picture 001 shows that by a metal-stick going through the central-hole.

Picture 008 shows (with good will of the viewer) that the asterisk has a
central channel, going through.

Pictures 010 and 012 show the different position of the in-cuts from bottom
in comparison to the in-cuts from the top,

-By going further with fire-stumps, I think it would be useful to remind the
old-fashioned type of saw-dust –stoves with the central hole.

Regards

Martin