[Stoves] Fire Stump / stump-incuts

Boll, Martin Dr. boll.bn at t-online.de
Fri Jul 22 10:08:05 CDT 2011

Ron,

            The pictures were taken with horizontal laying stump, because
the vertical pictures did not show the type of in-cuts very well.

But I only burnt the stump upright ( circle-surface standing on bottom).

 I thought there was enough air coming through the lower side-in-cuts to
feed the central hole.

The burn was very uneven (and not symmetrical). And the rest of the stump –
(it cracked apart because the bottom-in-cuts were going to far upwards)  was
partly un-burnt wood with some charcoal at the inner side. The rest was more
like a fire that died without burning to the end, than a gain of charcoal.

Possibly the very dry condition of my fir-wood  (it was cut in log and with
asterisk in-cuts at least a year before burning was done) made another
burn-pattern then more fresh wood.

I have another 3 stumps with bark and in-cuts (only cross-in-cuts from top)
resting without my attraction in dry condition.

If I would (expect much and long would!  :-) ) start another experiment
series, I would then prefer to set the stump into a short big-sized
stove-pipe, or at least put a small metal girdle around.

By doing with a stove-pipe surrounding (some controllable air from bottom as
condition to work with) of the stump, it would be interesting with a
concentrating plate on top of the stove-pipe.

So it would tend in the direction of an old-fashioned saw-dust-stove. I can
imagine that could make some torch-like flame, possibly with need of little
air-push from a fan.

In that configuration, I can imagine some charcoal-production. – But make it
somehow possible to cut off the primary air at the end of the out-gassing
burn.

Regards

 Martin

  _____