[Stoves] Fire Stump / stump-incuts

Tom Miles tmiles at trmiles.com
Thu Jul 28 08:09:49 CDT 2011

Roger,

You have probably discovered that you have landed in a nest of several
hundred vigorous and rigorous cooking stoves enthusiasts from around the
world. This discussion has been rolling for more than 15 years and includes
everything from shop tinkering to substantial field experience.

Have you been in contact with Peter Scott at Burn Design Lab on Vashon?
http://www.burndesignlab.org/ They are about 10 minutes north of you just
off the Vashon highway. Peter can show you what our challenges are and how
we approach them. We don't have densified fuels like bricks or fire logs to
work with. We have miscellaneous and low quality fuels including everything
from corncobs to coal. (I have burned Washington coal.) We have to deal with
the smoke and gases all during the "once you get up to temperature" time. So
you may have found good performance at a peak temperature but stove
emissions and efficiency performance has to follow the whole cooking
experience from the time you light the fire. We are concerned with fuel
efficiency but also with health effects of particulates and gases.  There
are several gigbytes of information on the website that we maintain to
complement this discussion http://www.stoves.bioenergylists.org/

Puget Sound has been a rich source of ideas and development for improved
cooking stoves, solar cookers and retained heat cookers. Each year in
January about 150 of us from around the world gather at Northwest University
in Kirkland, WA, for the ETHOS conference. You will find much information in
the conference proceedings.
http://www.vrac.iastate.edu/ethos/proceedings.php    Art Donnelly's
Seachar.org project is in Seattle, developing biochar making stoves for
developing countries. Organizations in Mount Vernon have developed
sophisticated pellet burning stoves for developed, and now developing,
countries. Larry Dobson on Whidbey Island has developed stove concepts for
many applications for more than 30 years. Masonry heaters and cookers have
been developed on Lopez Island and installed in Central America. A couple of
us on Shaw Island are heavily engaged in improved cooking stoves and heating
devices.

Your heating device must, of course, be certified by EPA if you intend to
sell it in the US, Canada, Europe, NZ, etc. Testing methods and standards
are easily found and there are certified labs in the region that to do that
work. New ASTM and EPA wood fired boiler standards also apply. These are
often discussed on woodheat at yahoo.com
efficiency, cordwood boiler being developed now in Seattle.

There is much to learn from this group but we work on clear descriptions,
detailed photos and carefully recorded data. We discuss a wide range of
technologies from basic flames to industrial applications but they all
relate to clean and efficient combustion.

Thanks for your participation

Regards,

Tom Miles

Owner

stoves at bioenergylists.org

www.stoves.bioenergylists.org

Jan 12 2011 in Business of Boating
<http://threesheetsnw.com/blog/archives/category/news-features/business-of-b
oating>  by Deborah Bach <http://threesheetsnw.com/members/deborahbach/>

1Share

 <http://threesheetsnw.com/files/2011/01/Rogerheater.jpg>

Roger Lehet with a prototype of the stove he spent about six months
developing, which is now being manufactured for sale.