[Stoves] Fire Stump / stump-incuts

Fireside Hearth firesidehearthvashon at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 28 12:50:30 CDT 2011

Hi Tom and thanks for the inquiry and the info. I am going to paste below a copy of a letter I sent out earlier as a way to try to explain in my very basic language what seems to be different about what we have done, I hope this helps. I have been in contact with Mr. Scott (whom I think has a genius level idea where the "factory in a box" program is aimed at both environmental as well as unemployment issues). If my stove could be tested in his lab I do not know. I will be undergoing EPA cert testing as I continue my growth process....governed mostly by funding (out of pocket). Do you know of any ways in the mean time to get testing done as I am expecting I will have to wait until the $20,000 usd is in the budget. Are some of these contacts you mentioned places where I could get some preliminary numbers?
Roger.

Thank you Ron for trying to bring this to a level I can hopefully
communicate on. I will try to respond in kind. Here is what I do know
for a fact. I started cleaning chimneys at age 18. The average stove at
the time was reportedly dumping 60 to 70 grams pm10 particulate
emissions per hour, per stove, into our airshed. This information was
supplied by the EPA who wanted to see these stoves replaced with
certified stoves with a maximum emission of 4.5 grams/hour.  What
happened in the homes of my 4000 customers over a 26 year period was
that these new stoves cut consumption in half, better in some cases as I
 tried to educate good habits. This nearly destroyed my chimney cleaning
 revenue's, but I was convinced that CONSUMPTION was the enemy. Many of
these clients went from six cord a year to three, and cleanings went
from 2 to 3 a year to once every 2 to 3 years and some longer.
So
what changed.....the fuel types stayed the same....just less of it. Why?
 the heat generated by the primary fire was almost un important in the
overall production of the stove. What was important was the heat
generated by the secondary fire, the burning of the gasses from the
primary fire. Information also supplied by the EPA was the overall
average efficiency ratings. They lumped all pre EPA stoves in the 20%
range ( I wonder if this is what the average yurt owner in Mongolia has
for the $65.00 they reportedly pay, I would guess this is correct)
todays stoves are pushing 80%.
So now let me pose this question in a
 different light. One of the biggest issues facing mankind is depletion,
 correct? depletion of the rain forest for example. The biggest key
factor in my experiance to stopping our air quality issues was slowing
consumption, which in turn slowed emissions. Why could not this simple
minded approach work to help the Amazon. As I understand the
process......,more trees needing c.o. to exist and giving off oxygen as a
 by-product means we slow down the rate at which we cut down this
forest, by conserving fuel. The same must be true then with the coal. I
hate the idea that that much coal is used......and if the information I
got from a local to Mongolia's capitol city is even near true than this
technology could only reduce the appetite.
You mentioned temperature
ranges at the flue pipe having a correlation to c.o. releases. I believe
 it had to do with the number 200 deg c which my converter tells me is
97 deg f, correct? The flue gas temps I have recorded by using both
thermocouple as well as infra red testing equipment have been quite
consistant at 350 degrees F. or better, with a top temp of 450 deg f.
converted to Celsius would be 176 to 232 deg c.  This might be low in
the eyes those not understanding that first these gasses have been
forced through our secondary combustion system at temps ranging from 800
 deg f (426 c) to 1550.deg f (843 deg c.) .  The heat output of our unit
 is almost all from the secondary burn process. When I shut off the
primary air, the fuel load "smolders" producing the fuel for the
secondary fire, giving us a basic gasifier/reburner affect. While I
don't have the mathematical ability to explain it any better than
this....I can tell you that it really does work.
I fear that too
much complexity has blinded the issue......so I say keep it simple
stovers (the kiss principle) use less pollute less. It certainly can't
hurt to burn less of whatever fuel is used and burning it hotter is the
paramount. I simply created equipment which does both.
I hope this helps you understand more of what I have been trying to communicate all along.

           Thanks again, Roger and Bridget Lehet.