[Stoves] Improve gas burners efficiency?

Anand Karve adkarve at gmail.com
Sun Jul 31 01:19:35 CDT 2011

Dear Xavier,
we have worked with skirtings around pots. They work best, if they are
pot-specific. Our Sarai cooker uses just 100 g charcoal to cook rice,
beans and vegetables (or meat) for a family of 4 to 5 persons. The
entire cooker is surrounded by a stainless steel sleeve, which directs
the hot flue gases to flow through the gap between the cooker and the
sleeve. The efficiency of the cooker is increased because all the flue
gases remain in contact with the entire outer surface of the cooker.
If the cooker is used without this jacket, it requires at least 4
times as much fuel to cook the same quantity of food. Jackets can be
designed for pots in restaurants, where they generally have a standard
pot for each function (a specific pot for rice, another for
vegetables, and still another for deep frying etc.) But in a
household, where the housewife may be using at least 20 to 30 pots of
different sizes, it would cost a lot of money to make sleeves for each
pot.
Yours
A.D.Karve