[Stoves] Anticipating future markets for stoves and fuels

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 12:22:58 CDT 2011

Thanks Tom

The interest for me lies in eliminating the chimney. I have a plan..

It needs to be made from steel pipe though, not chance for tin on this one:
"You know it's time to replace the metalwork when someone doesn't wake up in
the morning."

+++++++

Crispin,

In concept you are describing what larry Dobson built in the 1970s and
called the Grendle.

Alternative Sources of Energy Magazine, 1980, The Grendle Report

 The Mother Earth News Guide to Home Energy, 1980, An Amazingly Efficient
Sawdust Stove

It was a "hanging grate"  furnace with an afterburning chamber for wet bulk
fuels like sawdust and hog fuel that would burn efficiently. Heat transfer
to the house was through hot gas in roman-style hypocaust ducting.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypocaust

Grendle was followed by Helen and Gertrude.

Since then Larry has built a dozen different designs, some of which can be
seen at:

http://www.stiltman.com/html/energy_from_waste.htm

It seems to me that for stick wood your hybrid cross-draft design would be a
useful heat generator for a bench heating system.

Tom